Why do we set homework?
We set homework at Lambeth Academy for a number of reasons. These include:
- To develop our students’ ability to study and learn independently
- To develop our students’ ability to organise their time and priorities to complete work to deadlines
- To reinforce learning from the lesson
- To help prepare for future lessons
- To extend the work and ideas of the lesson
- In Year 10 and above, to prepare for controlled assessments
- To allow teachers to assess the learning of students and to plan further lessons accordingly
What sort of activities might be set for homework?
The homework tasks that are set are very varied and may include:
- an extended piece of writing
- a project over several weeks
- learning keywords or concepts
- revising for a test
- answering questions on a worksheet
- brainstorming some ideas to prepare for the next lesson
- researching a topic
- discussing an issue with family and friends
- redrafting and improving a piece of work or an assignment carried out previously
- producing a diagram, drawing or model
- practising or rehearsing a skill
- accessing websites on the internet e.g. ‘itslearning’ or ‘mymaths’.
How often is homework set?
Key Stage 3
- English, Maths and Science, History, Geography, MFL – 1 homework
- There may be occasional homework in Music, Dance/ Drama and PE
Key Stage 4
- Homework in ALL examined subjects at least once per week : English, Maths, Science and your son/daughter's option subjects.
When is homework marked?
- Homework will be collected on the day it is due in and marked and returned within 2 weeks.
Who should I contact if I have a query about homework?
- All homework should be recorded in your son/daughter's planner.
- If you have questions about homework across several subjects, contact your son/daughter's tutor.
- If you have a question about homework in a particular subject, contact the subject leader.