Literacy: A Lambeth Academy priority
We have a team of staff and student Literacy Leaders and Literacy Champions who support #LALiteracy.
We can transform outcomes by improving literacy and fostering a love of reading amongst our students
1 Increase reading and improve attainment across the curriculum
2 Enrich every students’ life through reading
We’ll achieve these aims through four key programmes: Accelerated Reader, Direct Instruction, Whole School Reading and Thinking Reading.
- One book per week with comprehension questions
- In built monitoring and measurement
- Combined with Library lesson for Year 7 and Year 8 students
Whole School Reading
- Students in their year groups, vote on a text to read (1 classic, 1 contemporary)
- Students read to aloud by their tutor (modelling effective reading skills)
- Student led and independent reading gradually increases as students’ skills improve
- Externally led
- Targets the weakest 10% of readers
In class we will:
- Model and develop effective reading skills
- Provide targeted support to our weakest readers so all students can access the curriculum at every level
- Increase students’ confidence with new texts
- Improve students’ core vocabulary
- Improve the quality of students’ writing through reading and academic talk
We seek to enrich every students’ life through reading and have created a culture of reading for pleasure. Students will be exposed to rich and varied vocabulary and become aware of ‘big ideas’ through reading a range of texts.